Landlord’s Right of Entry into the Rental Unit

Under what circumstances am I allowed to enter the rental unit?

BC Landlord Guide- Landlord’s Right of Entry
Under what circumstances am I allowed to enter the rental unit?

A landlord’s right to enter a rental unit has to be balanced at all times with the tenant’s right to quiet enjoyment since frequent entries, regardless of whether notice is given to the tenant by the landlord, may constitute a breach of this right.

As a general rule, the landlord must not enter the rental unit unless at least one of the following conditions is met:

  • The tenant gives permission at the time of entry or has given permission not more than 30 days in advance;
  • The landlord has given the tenant at least 24 hours’ advance notice which indicates a reasonable purpose for entering and the proposed date and time of the entry which must be between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. unless the tenant agrees otherwise;
  • If the tenancy agreement contains a term stating that the landlord is to provide housekeeping or related services and the entry is for this purpose and in accordance with such term;
  • The landlord has an order from the Residential Tenancy Branch authorizing entry;
  • The tenant has abandoned the rental unit;
  • An emergency exists and the entry is required to protect life or property.

A landlord may inspect a tenant’s property upon giving the tenant at least 24 hours’ notice in advance, in accordance with the rule explained above.

Last revised: April 10, 2016

  • When providing notice of entry into a rental unit, it is common practice for landlords to simply post a notice on the tenant’s door 24 hours before entry. This can be problematic as the deemed service provisions of the Residential Tenancy Act state that a document attached to a door is only served the 3rd day after it is attached. This means that, to be safe, a notice of entry should actually be posted four clear days before your entry into the rental unit.

This article explains in a general way the law that applies in British Columbia, Canada and is not a substitute for legal advice specific to your situation.